What is a dental implant and what are the benefits?
The secure and long-lasting solution to a missing tooth
Having a missing tooth can make even the most outgoing of us feel a little less confident. And while there are a few different solutions for filling that gap, implants offer the convenience and comfort of a secure, more permanent fix. With our flexible payment options*, getting an implant at Bupa Dental Care is becoming increasingly affordable too. Find out if an implant is right for you below - or contact your nearest Bupa Dental Care practice to see if they provide dental implant treatment.
What is a dental implant?
Dental implants are a secure, more permanent option for replacing missing teeth than bridges or dentures. Read more about the full implantation process here, but in a nutshell, an implant involves fixing a titanium screw to your jawbone to which we’ll attach a small post.
Then we’ll fix a dental crown or denture onto the post, making your implant as secure - if not more so - than a normal tooth. And because we’ll match the implant to your other teeth, no one will be able to tell the difference.
Five reasons to choose an implant over a bridge or denture
As payment plans are making dental implants increasingly affordable, they’re becoming a more accessible option for many people. But there are plenty of other reasons to choose an implant over a bridge, denture or crown. Here’s just five:
1. An implant is a long-lasting, secure and relatively low-maintenance solution. As long as you look after it, it’ll stay fixed and should last for many years.
2. An implant won’t affect your other teeth. Crown or bridge dentistry requires preparation of healthy teeth, leaving them at greater risk of tooth failure.
3. An implant won’t become uncomfortable, unstable and cause eating or speech problems as your jawbone shrinks over time. Dentures might.
4. An implant doesn’t rely on the teeth at either side of your gap being secure and healthy. Bridges do rely on the other teeth for support.
5. An implant - like natural teeth - will stimulate the jawbone and prevent the bone loss that can change the shape of your mouth, making you look prematurely-aged. While crowns, bridges and dentures will address short-term cosmetic problems, they do nothing to stop the jawbone loss that can occur after you lose a tooth.
For further information, visit 'Why have an implant', or to book your appointment, find your local practice below.